Monday, January 23, 2012

The Care & Fluffing of a Down Comforter

We finally opened the Dry Cleaning part of the business again this weekend.  One item of interest I noted was the cleaning of down comforters. 

My personal comforter (less than 1 year old) is already under-performing.  I noticed that all the down had shifted to the other side and not the side where I sleep.  After reading up on some of the manufacturer sites I realized that the reason down comforters have simple, light-weight duvet covers is because you don't want additional weight on top of the down to crush the loft created by the feathers.  I had added a rather heavy matelasse bed cover on the top to add warmth. Well, it did just the opposite.

The recommended course of action is to throw the comforter in the biggest dryer   in the laundromat on the low setting with my dryer balls (or a few tennis balls) to fluff it back up.  The recommended time is about an hour.

Joan

123 Wash N Dry
5211 Geary Blvd.
933-9222

No comments:

Post a Comment